Monday 17 March 2014

Top 5 Holi Songs

I love Holi. And I love Holi songs from the silver screen even more. So this year I thought I'd put together a list of my favourite songs.
Pichkari!

Without much ado, here goes-

No. 5
Haule Haule- Rab Be Bana Di Jodi
You might not think of this as a Holi song, but technically it starts off with Holi and the whole picturization is so sweet. I love the long takes, the synchronised choreography and the colour schemes. It's a treat to watch :)
No. 4
The No. 4 position jointly goes to-
Tum Tak- Ranjhaana
Dhanush is reason enough to love this song, but if that doesn't do it for you then A.R Rahman surely will. And if none of that works, then there's the exceptional cinematography. The way it's shot will make you fall in love with colours. *sigh*
Madubala - Mere Brother Ki Dulhan
Again, not technically a Holi song, but there are Bhang references, and I love the UP feel :D
No. 3
Balam Pichkari - Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani
The folksy feel, the interesting instruments, the kitschy lyrics, the colours, and the carefree abandon of your good old college days. With a very hot Deepika Padukone. What more d'you need? This song makes me wanna get up and dance in the middle of the theatre. And that doesn't happen too often.
No. 2
Khaike Paan Banaras Wala- Don (1978)
One of my favourite songs from one of my favourite movies. I don't think it's actually set in Holi, but since it's all about Bhang, you'll hear it often enough at Holi parties. There's nothing I need to really justify here- the song is awesome and that's that. :)
And finally for my No. 1 Holi song------
Jai Jai Shiv Shankar- Aap Ki Kasam
Not your usual Top Holi song, but I like this much more than the omnipresent 'Rang barse' etc etc
Rajesh Khanna, who I love. Kishore Kumar who I love even more. Mumtaz who is too cute, and music that is so 70s. The song encapsulates Holi so beautifully, the lyrics and the music compliment the thought so well. Ek ke do, do ke chaar dikhte hai truly :)
Enjoy listening to these (and many more) Holi songs and a very happy and colourful Holi to all! :)


P.S- Do tell me what your favourite Holi songs, the absolute worst (that'd be a long list in itself), the downright sleazy...
 |
 |
 |
V

No comments:

Post a Comment